Macon is a city in Noxubee County, Mississippi, along the Noxubee River. The population was 2,461 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Noxubee County. Founded on February 9, 1833 as Taladega, the name was changed to Macon on August 10, 1835. The Jackson Military Road crossed the Noxubee River just west of Macon, located at the old Choctaw village of Taladega, now the site of the local golf club. The city once served as the capital city for the state of Mississippi during the Civil War.
Golfing - Even though Macon is a very small city, it offers a lavish nine-hole golf course -Zach Brooks Golf Course- where golf can be played most every day of the year, with a few exceptions.
Hunting - Noxubee County is a hunter's paradise. Whitetail deer and turkey are particularly prevalent. The area also offers dove and rabbit hunting.
Fishing - The Noxubee River was officially designated State Scenic Stream and included in the Scenic Stream Stewardship Program on March 31, 2008. The Noxubee River joined a small and select group of prestigious rivers and streams which have made outstanding contributions to Mississippi's natural heritage.
Antebellum Circle "M" Plantation - Hidden away in the rural southwestern corner of Noxubee County at Center Point Road, about four miles from the Alabama line, is a restored antebellum home and surrounding property, which is a sportsman's paradise destination, called the Circle "M" Plantation.
Like most of the area's earlier settlements, the property was a working cotton plantation more than 150 years ago. It was established as Paulette Plantation by Thomas Blasengame Paulette, a South Carolina native who married Lucinda Jane Harper in 1843 and came to the Noxubee area. Vestiges of the property's long and rich history remain intact. Lanier Long came to the Circle "M" a decade ago as as general manager for the estate, and began the process of the latest renovation of the old, history-steeped property to renew it to its longtime use, as a gentleman's hunting lodge. Today the immaculately manicured grounds surrounding the original plantation home site are offset with white crossbuck fencing, echoing a fence design that was in place from the 1920's.