Hermanville was established on March 15, 1886. The town's economy was based on cotton, cattle, and timber products.
The Episcopal Church of the Epiphany was built in Hermanville in 1887. By 1982, the congregation had become inactive, and in 1985 the building was moved to the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum in Jackson, where it is used as a chapel.
The Natchez, Jackson and Columbus Railroad was completed in 1882, and a depot was established in Hermanville. Known locally as "The Little J", the line ran between Jackson and Natchez, and had various owners, including the Illinois Central Railroad, who abandoned it between 1979 and 1981.
A lumber mill in Hermanville was producing 10,000,000 board feet (24,000 m3) of high quality southern pine annually during the early 1960s.
The Pink Palace in Hermanville was described in 2000 as "probably the most photogenic juke joint in Mississippi". The building was constructed of 3 side-by-side mobile homes with their common walls removed. The inside walls were painted in folk art.