Bed and Breakfast Association of Mississippi
Post Office Box 13341
Jackson, Mississippi, 39236, United States

Cartney-Hunt House

  • Cartney_HuntHouse1


408 Seventh St. South Columbus, MS. 39701
Innkeeper(s):Marleen Hansen
Local: (662)244-7232

Welcome to the Cartney-Hunt House. This Federal-style house was built in 1828 only seven years after Columbus was incorporated in 1821. The builder of the house, Mr. James M. Cartney, acquired the tract of land that the house is located on April 10, 1824. Mr. Cartney conveyed the property to Henry W. Hunt sometime before June 20, 1836.
Let's think back to the time when the house was built. Columbus was not much more than a village and most of the houses in town were log cabins. Columbus was easily accessible by steamboat via the Tombigbee River and by the U. S. Government's Military Road that stretched from Nashville to New Orleans through Columbus. The population did not increase rapidly.